Friday 25 January 2013

Micro Bead Bird Embellishment

On one of my last pieces for FOG, I created a beaded bird. If you look at the photo, you will see that the bird is outlined in black and that micro beads fill in the areas between. The black outline of the bird is actually a sticker that I picked up at a scrap booking store. Although there are many of these types of stickers, some in black and some in white, the one I used came from a sheet of birds (see photo), and was designed by Elizabeth Craft Designs (#2350). This bird sticker is approximately 2” long by 1 1/2” wide. Although this is a sticker, I felt that it would need a little extra glue to keep it in place, so I used gel medium to adhere it to my background. By the way, my background is a piece of felt covered with painted fusible web, stitched, and distressed with a heat gun.
After the glue had dried, I then put gel medium onto one section of the bird at a time and poured micro beads onto it. This process was repeated for each section. Sometimes I found that I had to redo parts of a section, or pick beads off the black outline as these sections are very tiny and my accuracy with my toothpick wasn’t always perfect.

Anyway, after a number of days, the bird was complete. I was very pleased with the outcome and that my fellow mixed media artists at FOG were impressed.                   Jan S.

No comments:

Post a Comment